Monday, November 12, 2012

Snow Sharks?!?

Collecting quotes is a past time I enjoy.  I believe quotes can synthesize significant thoughts and express them in simplified terms.  One of my favorite quotes is:

"I was at this restaurant.  The sign said, 'Breakfast Anytime' - So I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance."  -- Steven Wright

What is the profound truth in this quote?  There isn't one really.  But I do think it's hilarious!

Many times we are so busy about the business of life that we forget to stop and enjoy it.  This is very true of me.  I am often consumed with my tasks and lists; consequently, my focus is on what I am doing and what I need to do rather than enjoying the moments of life.  Now, let's not be unrealistic.  God expects us to do the work he has given us with diligence but I believe we can do that work without forgetting to take time to have fun (and perhaps even find fun in the work).

At times, even my desire to be a better disciple of Christ makes me feel that I should do more 'for God.'  Then I remember, it's not about the work I do but it is about God working in my life.  As I think about the person of Christ, I usually reflect on his character traits -- you know love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness -- and forget who he was as a human.  Jesus balanced his life so well between his work and his times of fun.  Is there any wonder a crowd of disciples followed him??  Jesus enjoyed parties.  Jesus gave people nicknames.  Jesus did those things which aren't necessary in life but which are essential to live the life God designed for us.

So embrace the life God designed for us.  A life in which we take a little time for fun.


As I attempt to find fun in the day, I am yours faithfully -- Cynthia

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing Calvin & Hobbes (and the rest of it). ;-)

    ReplyDelete