Monday, June 16, 2014

Simplicity

Sometimes the simple things are the ones that
get neglected.  Last week I traveled with Steve 
to Washington, D.C. He was at a conference, 
and I got to hang out with my daughter. We 
walked down the Capital Mall and discovered 
the Butterfly Garden. The plants are so lovely 
there, and one lotus flower we loved was almost 
hidden behind the huge green leaves.

Life becomes so busy. We forget to sit and talk to friends, family. We bypass beauty. Prayer and meditation suffer. Older people and people who are sick may travel more slowly and our fast pace leaves them behind. These things may be very dear to us, yet they get smothered by everyday needs and activities.

I guess I’m suggesting we take time to smell the roses, or in my case, the lotus blossom (no Zen references here, just a lovely flower made by our heavenly father). And summertime is such a great time for reflection and rejuvenation. There is much peace in nature, in listening to others, in listening to God. Of course peace is a fruit of the spirit, along with love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22).

I need more of these qualities, because I need more of God – and I often find fellowship with Him in the simple moments. Peace to you all – I miss you! Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment