Monday, July 1, 2013

Keeping On


I've been thinking about perseverance lately, mostly because I've been reading the book of Hebrews. On Sunday, we heard a encouragement about God's preservation in the perseverance of the saints. When I look back over the 40+ years I've know Christ, I can only marvel at God's grace in helping me to keep on following him.

Some people learn about God's faithfulness at a very young age - and demonstrate remarkable endurance. I'm thinking of the 2012 Gold Medal Olympic gymnast, Gabby Douglas. She suffered loneliness, pain, rejection, and yes, eventual victory.
She worked hard for the sake of becoming the best at her sport. She practiced memorizing scripture and drawing strength from God's word, as well as working hard to train as an athlete.

In the 12th chapter of Hebrews we are told to "run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross . . . "

Gabby Douglas, a very hard working Christian, trailblazer and athlete, received the prize of a gold medal. She gives God the glory for her success. Jesus' prize was all of us - his people. Since he suffered and died for us, what a privilege it is to keep on walking with him.  ~ Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment