Monday, May 20, 2013

High School Reunion

I'm getting ready to attend my 50th high school reunion in Newport Beach, California. I'll be traveling there with my best friend from those years, Diane, who now lives in Tryon, NC.  Recently she sent me a photo of us on a camping trip to the Colorado River. The photo includes Diane, her mother, brother and her brother's friend. In case there is any doubt, I'm the one in the center, standing up.

Diane and I loved drama, discussing esoteric philosophies and giggling about our respective boyfriends. We spend many hours driving around in her parents' push-button transmission Dodge station wagon. Our lifestyle was similar to "Leave It to Beaver" with a lot more angst. I did nothing worthy of God's grace during those years. In fact, most of my youthful behavior was in direct contradiction to God's plan for my life.

In 2 Timothy 3:14, Paul tells Timothy to "continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of because you know those from whom you learned it." Often, in the process of surrendering my life to Christ, I remembered the religious education teacher I had in 5th grade, who told me the story of Jesus. She demonstrated kindness, certainty and patience in a way I could never forget.

All of us who have children or are involved in sharing our faith with them, have the opportunity to model Christian grace to them. We can be that person they remember when the time comes to turn to God. Without "knowing" my teacher in 5th grade, I might never have been "convinced" of the truth of the Gospel. I might still be the rebellious teenager I was 50 years ago.

~ Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment