Monday, September 16, 2013

Enough?

I've been reading through the book of Mark and last week I read a passage that hit me in a whole new way, God used it to breathe a fresh breath of freedom into my heart and to free me from a question that nags me far too often...  "Am I doing enough?"
In Chapter 13, verses 32-37, Jesus is telling His disciples that no one knows the time of the coming of the Son of Man, so "be on your guard, keep awake."  
In verses 34-36, He compares it to a man who goes on a journey...  "It is like a man going on a journey, when he leaves home and puts his servants in charge, each with his work, and commands the doorkeeper to stay awake.  Therefore, stay awake - for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning - lest he come suddenly and find you asleep." 
I have to admit, worry gripped me...  I wrote in my journal, "What does that mean?  How do I apply that?"  What I was really wondering was, "How do I know if I'm awake?  How do I know if I am I doing enough?"
But as I went back over the verses...  Verse 34 jumped out at me, "He put the servants in charge, each with his work"...  They weren't out saving the world, they were simply serving the Master in the way they HE, the Master, had given them serve to him...  It wasn't about the significance of the task, it was about their faithfulness to the Master in how they served him... It was about persevering in obedience.
God just wants our heart and our faithful obedience to serve Him in the work He has given us...  Maybe that's in the home...  In the workplace...  At church...  Maybe it's making a significant impact on something out in the world, or maybe it's making an impact on your children, your husband, your neighbors or people in your workplace.
The question isn't, "Am I doing enough?"  The question is, "Am I faithfully serving God in the way He has directed me?"  THAT, my sisters in Christ, is freedom!  If your heart's desire is to serve God and obey Him, trust Him to make clear the work He has for you and then go do it!  

Joyfully Free!
Sharla


No comments:

Post a Comment